Monday, December 18, 2006

All I want for Chrithmath

The monkey had two more teeth pulled the other day. He doesn't mess with them himself like I did as a child, so the dentist has to do it. At one point he had 3 rows of teeth on the bottom: a baby tooth that was almost falling out, an adult tooth coming in behind that, about where it was supposed to be, and a second adult tooth right behind with nowhere else to go. The boy is destined for orthodonture, probably beginning next year with a gadget that's supposed to slowly expand his jaw so that his adult teeth will fit. Fortunately, he loves his dentist, who has an wonderful way with the kiddies.

As a result of his situation, I have learned a new word in Spanish: "chimuelo." It refers to someone who is missing teeth. The equivalent in Guatemalan Spanish is "sholco," probably a word of Maya origins. I'm intrigued by Spanish words, without English equivalents, for people missing body parts. If you're missing an eye, you're "tuerto," lacking a leg, "tunco," and someone having a hand or arm fewer than most of us is "manco." I believe there's even a word for someone short an ear, but I guess I haven't had much occasion to use it as I can't recall what it might be.

In English we have to dance around the subject, and we tend to get uncomfortable talking about peoples' ethnicity, weight, etc. when we're giving a physical description. Spanish speakers (at least in Mexico and Central America) get right to the point. They'll have no trouble describing someone as "that short, fat guy with a limp." Physical epithets like "shorty" ("chaparro"), fatso ("gordo"), "curly" ("colocho," at least in Guatemala), and "darky" ("moreno" or simply "negro") become nicknames or endearments, (often with a diminutive in the later case, as in "mi gordita," "mi morenita," "mi viejita"). Why not call 'em like we see 'em? In the end, I think that helps us appreciate the differences among us instead of stigmatizing them, or at least to keep us honest.

We think our "sholquito" is as guapo as ever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcos' trip to the dentist reminds me of your Granddfather Hoffie and his pliers which were applied to my loose teeth and probably your mother's as well. He just never wanted to wait for nature to take its course the payoff by the tooth fairy came sooner if we let him pull the tooth.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took trips to the dentist to get teeth pulled, at least a couple of times. I had two rows of teeth for a little while.

I remember getting a local anesthetic and then the dentist grabbing the tooth with special pliers and twisting/turning it until it popped out and flew across the room. The other time I had novocaine and kept feeling like I was going to hit my numbed lip with my hands or arms a couple of feet out from my face.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home